Some cool ways your landscape
can survive the summer heat
Summer's long, hot, dry conditions can test the endurance of many plants. Not to worry, though. We have some simple and inexpensive ways to prepare your landscape for summer’s sizzle – and make sure your plants don’t fizzle. With proper plant care and watering, you can keep your landscape healthy and looking beautiful all year long.
- Adjust Watering Schedules – Water
needs increase as the temperature rises.
- Check Irrigation Systems – Replace
clogged drip emitters and repair leaks.
- Mulch Plant Roots – It improves soil,
reduces moisture loss and keeps roots cool during summer months.
- Remove Weeds – They compete with plants for
- Fertilize Non-Native Plants
– Follow product label recommendations.
- Prune Sparingly – Branches keep plants shaded
and cooler in summer.
- Replant Lost Plants – If plants have
died or are not performing well, plant new ones – preferably low water-use
varieties – before the summer heat sets in.
Return to Landscape Care